BERGDORF GOODMAN - NEW YORK
When the well-trodden floors of New York department store Bergdorf Goodman were in need of an upgrade, the owners were clear that it be replaced with the same classic vein-cut Roman travertine that had been used when the store was built way back in 1899.
There was a slight hitch, however: that particular travertine had been sourced from the Roman Barco quarry which, after centuries of supplying stone, including for the Colosseum, was now closed.
Further research identified a bank in an adjacent quarry with a very similar colour and vein to the material used by Bergdorf Goodman at the time of the original project.
We therefore moved the machines to this quarry and extracted a couple of blocks from which we took a sample, and which turned out to be identical to that which the client was looking for.
The material was supplied very quickly and just two months after the commission, the material was delivered and installed in Manhattan. Salvatori is particularly proud of this work as it contains within it a small part of New York history.